Did you know it is extremely common for SOC 2 Type 2 reports to contain control exceptions? While this does not necessarily mean that this will lead to report qualifications, it may be more common than you realize. Let’s take a look at some factors that impact control exceptions in SOC 2 Type 2 reports.
What Factors Contribute to Control Exceptions in SOC 2 Type 2 Reports?
Believe it or not, exceptions are not usually attributable to a simple lack of documentation. Most companies create documented policies ahead of their SOC 2 examination (although the rare exception does happen).
Most commonly, control exceptions in a SOC 2 Type 2 can be attributed to:
- Lack of employee awareness of documented policies or procedures – training is key!
- Day-to-day operational activities not being aligned to documented policies and procedures.
- Minimal oversight on key activities or lack of proper control monitoring.
- A combination of all the above factors!
What Can I Do About It?
With this information in mind, you may be wondering what you can do about it in order to help your organization pass your SOC 2 Type 2 examination with the best possible rating.
We have 4 key takeaways for you to consider:
- Consistent training is key to ensuring the appropriate employees understand not just policies and procedures, but why they are so important to follow as documented. You can develop policies all day, but if they aren’t implemented, they won’t help your organization.
- Operational activities must align with documented policies.
- Proper management of all interrelated components of your risk management or compliance program will benefit your compliance efforts. Proper oversight from appropriate individuals is key.
- A high-quality SOC 2 audit should go way beyond your policies! It’s important to choose a true compliance partner who is able to assist holistically with your compliance initiatives.
Auditwerx Is Your SOC 2 Type 2 Partner
A quality SOC examination should approach your systems and controls from a holistic perspective. An experienced team is key to making sure the examination process is smooth and works with your business needs. If you are ready to experience a quality audit, with a team focused on your business needs, contact Auditwerx today.